The Right Hanger
The seasons are changing and it’s time to put away your heavy weight clothes. Here are a few tips to help you preserve and protect them for next season.
1. Don’t store anything until AFTER you’ve laundered or cleaned it.
2. Don’t store anything until the designated storage closet or area has been thoroughly cleaned – vacuumed, dusted, aired out and wiped down.
3. Knits are best stored folded flat, NEVER hung on hangers. Hanging will cause them to stretch and lose shape.
4. Select the best hanger for the garment. For important jackets and blazers use a deluxe shaped hanger as it provides important collar shaping and support. Padded hangers are ideal for light weight silks garments and lingerie. Notched hangers are designed for apparel that have fabric support loops. If possible hang pants straight from the waistband or the cuff/hem. (This eliminates fold lines from hanging them over a bar). Never use a wire hanger for storage purposes.
5. Take the time to position the garment properly on the hanger AND button or fasten the ‘top’ ones to keep them in position.
6. Don’t crowd them. Leave space between garments.
7. Protect from dust and air borne pollutants by using a clean, white unbleached sheet. NEVER store them in any kind of plastic.